Roughan & O’Donovan Innovative Solutions (ROD-IS) carried out a probabilistic assessment of the Malahide railway viaduct following the scour induced failure of one of its supporting piers in 2009.
We calculated the level of safety in terms of the reliability index (β-index) of the structure, when compared to the minimum value required by the Eurocode.
Our assessment was informed by an extensive suite of both non-destructive and destructive testing including:
- Full scale load testing of individual beams
- Sampling and laboratory testing of material properties
- Electro-chemical techniques to assess the condition of the structure
In undertaking the probabilistic modelling, we used both stochastic and deterministic variables to consider the load and resistance of the structure.
We modelled the following parameters:
- Deterioration (tendon corrosion as the main factor)
- Damage mechanisms
- Loading, material and prestress uncertainties
- Risk-based asset management
- Structural health monitoring
- Traffic load modelling