Roughan & O’Donovan provided consultancy services - from tender through to completion of construction - for the permanent works structures on this large scale infrastructure design and build scheme.
The bridge crossing comprises a 24m wide steel concrete composite deck construction cable, supported over 240 metres from a steel A-frame pylon, with sections of concrete and concrete/steel composite construction.
105Height in metres of the bridge pylon
1550Weight in tonnes of the bridge pylon
15Number of hours it took to raise the pylon
Major and minor structures designed to facilitate the scheme construction included:
- 140m long x 25m wide piled basal mattress
- Reinforced earth wall retained embankment up to 9 metres in height
- Retaining walls of sheet pile, contiguous bored pile and reinforced earth construction
The raising of the bridge pylon marked the culmination of 2 years of design and planning and 12 months of fabricating. A highly complex process, it required stringent geometric control and monitoring procedures.
Not one critical trigger level was reached during the launch, which is testament to the joint venture's expertise in the design and interface co-ordination of complex permanent and temporary works on major bridge structures.
- Bridge engineering design
- Structural engineering design
- Temporary works
- Lightning protection
- Road engineering design services