Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Roughan & O'Donovan is a leading civil, environmental and structural engineering consultancy based in the UK and Ireland. We provide a fully integrated engineering design service and employ a multidisciplinary team of more than 200 people. We are now recruiting an experienced Designer’s Site Representative for the Great Yarmouth Third River Crossing in Norfolk.
The scheme involves the construction of a movable twin leaf bascule bridge over the River Yare, approach structures, and urban highway works. The successful candidate will work alongside our multidisciplinary design teams based in Otley, Dublin and our design partners, Hardesty & Hanover based in the US on this exciting and challenging project. Construction commenced in January 2021 and is programmed for completion in 2023. The role is based at the site offices in Great Yarmouth.
- Act in a spirit of mutual trust and co-operation with the project team and perform an independent role regarding the quality of the works;
- Build relationships with the design team, contractor, sub-contractors (steelwork and MEICA) and client;
- Act as the main link between the Contractor and the Design Team in matters related to quality and design;
- Ensure that the Design Team’s obligations are fulfilled whilst the works are being constructed;
- Carry out duties expected of a Designer’s Site Representative, including but not limited to: witnessing construction operations; inspecting the works; raising and closing out non-conformance reports; establishing and managing systems for receiving and answering technical queries and materials approvals.
Required qualifications, skills and experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in civil engineering, construction or equivalent;
- Chartered Engineer with a relevant professional institution;
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- At least 15 years’ post-graduate experience;
- At least 8 years’ experience in civil engineering works in bridges and highways;
- Experience in movable or complex bridge construction, heavy steelwork fabrication and erection (desirable);
- Experience in movable or complex bridge construction, MEICA (desirable);
- Experience in the role of designer’s site representative or senior resident engineer;
- Experience of working with stakeholders such as local authorities, Highways England, statutory utility companies, and contractor supply chains;
- Demonstrable experience of managing quality on multi-disciplinary projects;
- Valid CSCS card, with SMSTS or SSSTS desirable.
How to apply
Step 1: Your cover letter
- Address your cover letter to Human Resources
- Specify the position you are applying for and where you first saw it advertised
- Save your cover letter as ‘First name Surname Cover Letter’. For example, John Smith Cover Letter
Step 2: Your CV
- Save your CV as ‘First name Surname CV’. For example, John Smith CV
Step 3: Apply
- Email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Roughan & O’Donovan is an equal opportunity employer.
Roughan & O'Donovan will retain, for 12 months, all records arising through the recruitment process for compliance purposes in line with the Employment Equality Acts, 2010
Roughan & O'Donovan is not accepting unsolicited CVs from search firms. CVs submitted by search firms without a valid written search agreement, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the sole property of Roughan & O'Donovan, and no fee will be paid in the event of candidate(s) being hired.