Job type: Permanent
Location: Otley, Leeds, UK
Salary: £43,000 to £55,000+ depending on experience
The opportunities for you
- Work with a dynamic, talented team on an exciting range of bridgeworks projects
- Develop your skills to the highest industry standards
- Work closely with new and existing clients
- Help grow our business by supporting our bid team
- Advance your career under the guidance of ROD’s senior management in Otley
- Work with both existing and new bridges and civil structures across a range of materials and forms, superstructure, substructure and articulation elements
- Get involved at the early project stages: scoping, specifying and interpreting surveys, inspection and investigative works, optioneering, scheme design
- Detailed design: modelling, calculations, overseeing drawing production
- Document preparation, including authoring technical reports, such as AIPs, specifications and contract documents
- Review the work of others: cat 3 checking, as a client representative and designer’s site representative
- Interface with clients from local and national authorities, consultants, and D&B contractors amongst others
- Support the development of our graduate engineers
- Minimum master’s honours degree in civil/structural engineering (MEng, MSc) or equivalent
- Minimum seven years’ (senior engineer) / 10 years’ (principal engineer) professional experience
- Chartered engineer with the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) or equivalent
- Detailed knowledge of and experience in the use of Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) and other standards and legislation
- Fluent/highly proficient in spoken and written English
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- A strong work ethic
- Ability to undertake and/or manage structural analysis modelling, such as grillages and finite element
- Multidisciplinary consultancy or contracting experience from allied civil engineering disciplines, such as highways, structural, geotechnics, rail or water
- A willingness and aptitude for understanding and contributing to colleagues’ work in areas beyond transportation infrastructure projects
- Interest in developing a business, liaising directly with clients and working on bids and tenders
About Roughan & O'Donovan
Roughan & O’Donovan (ROD) was founded in 1974. A leading civil, structural and environmental consultancy, we currently employ over 200 staff, of 20 nationalities, in our UK and Ireland offices. We are technically focused engineering consultancy, with notable specialisms in cable-supported structures, moveable bridges, integral precast beam and steel-composite bridges.
We opened our UK office in Otley in 2019 to expand our reach of world-class design and planning work across the region. ROD Managing Director, Jim Thorpe, is based in Otley, where he leads 18 technical staff, working across bridges, highways, geotechnics, drainage / flooding and hydrogeology, and several administrative and business development personnel.
Our UK bridge team’s primary focus is existing structures, and their work involves proving or seeking for additional capacity and/or design life by targeted inspection and investigative work, assessment, refurbishment and strengthening designs. They also work on new build-design projects across the UK and Ireland.
Current and recent bridge projects include:
- Humber Bridge Barton Tower side span A-frames works
- Great Yarmouth Third River Crossing in Norfolk
- Waterford Public Infrastructure Project
- River Cycle Bridge, Renfrewshire, Scotland
- Northern Spire Bridge in Sunderland
- Dublin moveable bridges – design development of 2 No. proposed high-profile structures
- Balanced cantilever segmental post-tensioned bridge cat 3 check
- Address your cover letter to Human Resources
- Apply by clicking the link: https://shorturl.at/ikqU2
Roughan & O’Donovan is an equal opportunity employer.
For compliance purposes, Roughan & O'Donovan will retain, for at least one year, all records arising from the recruitment process.
Roughan & O'Donovan is not accepting unsolicited CVs from search firms. CVs submitted by search firms without a valid written search agreement, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the sole property of Roughan & O'Donovan, and no fee will be paid in the event of a candidate(s) being hired.