Roughan & O’Donovan-Aecom's strategic cycle network plan for the greater Dublin area (GDA) identified cycle routes within 7 local authority regions that would, over a 10-year period, provide the best return on investment.
The most comprehensive study of cycling needs ever carried out in Ireland.
Gerry MurphyChief Executive of the National Transport Authority (2009-2015)
The plan proposes to increase the provision of on and off road cycle paths from 500km to 2,840km in the four Dublin local authorities, as well as in counties Kildare, Wicklow and Meath.
Our study covered 7,000km² of territory and involved:
- Mapping existing cycling facilities
- Assessing the quality of service
- Reviewing the strategic planning concept
- Evaluating cycle-trip demand - both now and in the future
- Apportionment of road space on high priority transport corridors where competing demands from buses and cars exist
- Identification of appropriate, alternative, parallel routes offering a more pleasant environment for cyclists