Roughan & O’Donovan is providing consultancy services - from tender through to completion of construction - for the permanent works structures on this large scale infrastructure design and build scheme.
The bridge crossing comprises a 24m wide steel concrete composite deck construction cable supported over 240 metres from a 105m high steel A-frame pylon with sections of concrete and concrete/steel composite construction.
Major and minor structures designed to facilitate the scheme construction included:
- 140m long x 25m wide piled basal mattress
- Reinforced earth wall retained embankment up to 9 metres in height
- Retaining walls of sheet pile, contiguous bored pile and reinforced earth construction
The bridge pylon was fabricated in one piece off-site. It was then moved onto a barge and towed into the Port of Sunderland.
The raising of the 1550-tonne bridge pylon was a challenging operation and took over 15 hours to complete. It marked the culmination of 2 years of design and planning and 12 months of fabricating.
Watch the video to see the construction team complete this amazing piece of engineering.
- Bridge engineering design
- Structural engineering design
- Temporary works
- Lightning protection
- Road engineering design services