Roughan & O’Donovan-AECOM acted as consultant engineers for the Phases 1-4 planning stage of this project comprising 20km Type 2 dual carriageway from Westport to east of Castlebar and 2.5km Type 2 single carriageway bypass to the north of Westport.
In August 2017, ROD was appointed by Mayo County Council to undertake Phases 5-7 of the project. The project scope was simultaneously extended to include the first 2.5km section of the N59 Westport to Mulranny Type 3 single carriageway.
Our work covered:
- development of the detailed works requirements
- management of the procurement process
- contract administration
- construction supervision
Prior to this appointment, ROD supported the council in the delivery of advance works contracts, including:
- detailed topographic survey
- detailed ground investigation
- hedgerow clearance
- high and medium voltage cable diversions
- archaeological investigations
The first section of the multi-million euro project - a 10km section of dual carriageway stretching from the N5 roundabout at Turlough to the N5 roundabout at Pheasanthill on the Westport Road - opened to traffic on 26 April 2023.
The scheme was fully opened to traffic on 15 June 2023.
Key design elements
- Two compact grade-separated junctions with the N60 and N84 roads
- Six roundabouts
- 22 bridges, including two railway bridges over the Dublin-Westport line
- A piled embankment
- A large number of drainage culverts
- Earthworks, including the removal of significant quantities of both peat and rock
We had a full-time resident engineering team working on site to monitor the works and liaise with both our technical review team and council representatives.
- Planning and development
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Specimen design
- Preparation of contract documents
- Contract procurement
- Technical review of detailed design submissions
- Construction supervision
- Contract administration