Roughan & O’Donovan-RPS undertook the detailed design and construction supervision of this road improvement scheme linking the N8 Cashel Bypass in Co. Tipperary with the M8 Portlaoise to Cullahill motorway.
At the time of award, this was the largest, target cost, contract road scheme in Ireland to go to detailed design and construction.
The scheme comprised over 39.5km of 2-lane dual carriageway and motorway, including:
- 40 road and river bridges
- One railway bridge
- 40+ culverts including 14 box culverts
- Four grade separated junctions
The 12-month programme for the detailed design of bridges/structures, earthworks and road alignment was challenging.
- Civil and structural engineering design
- Construction management
- Environmental engineering